What is the latest battle with the Affordable Care Act (ie Obamacare)? Point, Counterpoint, and Pre Existing Conditions.
July 3, 2020
1. ACA no more? The White House and officials from 18 other states joined forces to ask the Supreme Court to overturn the Affordable Care Act, aka Obamacare.
2. Why now? Because a federal appeals court recently ruled that the ‘individual mandate’, aka the part that said you had to pay a fee for not having health insurance, was unconstitutional...
3. No fee for a break in health insurance! That happened already , so now the argument is that the ‘mandate’ was critical to the Obamacare law and now that it’s gone that the whole dang thing should be struck down.
4. Point, Counterpoint, and Pre Existing Conditions. The side that wants it gone says "It limits choice, forces Americans to purchase unaffordable plans, and restricts patients with high-risk preexisting conditions from accessing the doctors and hospitals they need." The other side is concerned that 23 million Americans could lose their health insurance if the ACA is overturned. And the Trump administration claims to be thinking through a replacement while committing to protect those with pre-existing conditions.
5. Is my healthcare safe today? Yep! Even if something does change, it won’t be until way after this November when the Supreme Court is likely to start looking into it.