Looting: help fix the other pandemic devastating our communities
June 12, 2020
1. WHAT: Protests break out after a video taken by a bystander quickly spread online, showing that by the time Police Officer Chauvin removed his knee from George Floyd’s neck, Floyd appeared to be (and was later pronounced) dead.
2. THAT’S TERRIBLE, BUT WHY THE LOOTING? People who study these things say oftentimes looters aren’t connected with protesters’ causes at all. They’re just seizing the moment to cause chaos and destruction.
3. DOUBLE WHAMMY FOR THE GOOD GUYS: In Michigan, peaceful protests turned sour as fires and looting damaged areas of downtown Grand Rapids. Police attempted to control the riots with tear gas, flash bang devices, and smoke canisters.
4. BAD, BAD, BAD: Some small businesses in Michigan are already struggling with the Covid19 lockdowns and now many are forced to pay for damages out of pocket. Those with a higher deductible may not be able to open, especially with the strain small businesses are already feeling.
5. Do some good… You can jump in and make a difference, AND as a side benefit – get your very own snarky Paycheck Pete t-shirt. Stay tuned for our #savesmall pledge launching next week. We’re coming together to sign up, share the effort, and save small businesses in our communities!