5 Fast Facts: What Really Happened in Iowa?
February 12, 2020
- Epic fail, Iowa! 👎🏼The first state to hold a Democratic caucus for President tried a new vote-counting app that totally glitched
- 1-800-APP-FAIL 📱When the app failed, precinct captains tried calling in results to the Iowa Democratic Party in Des Moines… but phone lines got jammed
- Too fast, too furious 🏎The app was built in the last two months and wasn’t properly tested for all 1,700 of Iowa’s precincts
- Good ol’ fashioned paper? 📝Eight states are still using paperless machines, a.k.a. there is no paper trail to track in case their electronic systems fail like Iowa’s did
- Is Wisconsin secure? 🤔Don’t worry – Wisconsin won’t be using an app and every ballot is either cast on paper or has a paper back-up
P.S. Didn’t Iowa have like four years to test that app? They must have forgotten there’d be a big election in 2020…